Sunday, August 2, 2015

Sunday Morning Loves #2: Minimalism

After coming across Daisy's blog, Simplicity Relished, I've been thinking long and hard about minimalism this week. If you're not familiar with the minimalist movement, Alyssa has a great post on it.

I used to believe that minimalism meant to get rid of junk. While this is partially true, I've come to realize that it's more than that - living minimally is a lifestyle. And my life is far from it. I love to shop. I overcommit my time on the regular. I have a lot of big ideas, with no clear plan on how to achieve them.

My first step towards a minimal lifestyle was to alleviate my schedule. Next semester, I've focused my extracurricular commitments to organizations that I love and that I know I can dedicate my full attention to. I've also relieved my class load by not scheduling classes on Tuesdays or Thursdays. The semester hasn't even started yet, and I already feel so relaxed! I know it's going to be such a nice change from having 3 meetings + classes in one day.

Next, I've decided to downsize my closet. If I had a fatal flaw, it would be my ability to make impulse purchases. Not going to lie, I commonly use the "retail therapy" excuse. I'm working on this by selling some of my clothes via (shameless plug) Poshmark and donating the rest. I would much rather spend money on experiences and travels over clothes that will go out of style in a month. I'm going to make a conscious effort to purchase quality, timeless pieces that can be remixed, as Audrey would say. Maybe I'll even try a capsule wardrobe for the fall semester.

Removing clutter isn't restricted to just my time and physical possessions, but also my blog. Prior to my year long blogging break, I tried to stick with the norms of a typical style blog. It was sub-par, not necessarily because of the content (which was pretty bad anyway), but because I wasn't really passionate about it. I was going through the motions of what you "needed" to do to become a successful fashion blog.

While style is still very important to me, I'd really like to refocus my content on more than just style, I just don't know what yet. I have a lot of hobbies and interests! I know that it's apparently important to select a niche, but as Kaitlyn and Sarah said to me in last week's #NectarChat, there are no rules about what I can and cannot share. I just need to find a way to define it. I don't know exactly what this means for Crazy Scarf Girl, but you'll be seeing less meaningless photos and more meaningful words.


I think these are the first steps I need to take to gain clear focus on my goals. Without all of the extra clutter of meaningless commitments and unnecessary purchases, I can spend more time doing things I love and on what I want to accomplish, like starting my own business. While it's a scary thing, I've done it in the past with a small Etsy store. Kat does a great job on addressing and overcoming the fears of running your own business.

Anyway, that's enough rambling for one day. This week, be on the lookout for my first post in for the #BloggersBTS linkup! I'll be showing you how to comfortably dress for class.

Have a fantastic Sunday! How do you feel about living minimally?

10 comments:

  1. Not too long ago, I cleared out my closet to try to have a more downsize my closet a bit. I've made a few impulse buys since then, so I really want to try to work harder on not buying so much clothes and filling up my closet! haha. Just like you, I use the "retail therapy" excuse as well...Love this post, you've inspired me to try once again to live a more minimal lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so so much for sharing your thoughts! I'm glad you're considering what it means to live simply and I'd love to chat more if you'd like! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie @ The Fashion NewcomerAugust 3, 2015 at 4:38 PM

    I'm also guilty of buying many random things on impulse ... it's a bad habit (but one that I secretly like because yay for new things!). Can't wait to see your first post in the #BloggersBTS link-up - mine is going up on Wednesday!

    xoxo, Jamie

    http://thefashionnewcomer.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been super interested in the more minimalist style when it comes to my wardrobe. I'm working on revamping it, but I'm certainly not the most fashionable person in the world. So I really want to make sure my minimal pieces can be styled together multiple ways!


    I've heard of Poshmark, but I have this thought that my clothes would never sell on there. Are you having any luck?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whenever I buy clothes now, I ask myself if it will match at least 3 things in my closet and if I can dress it up or down. It helps a lot! Glad you enjoyed it, Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for stopping by, Daisy! I'll definitely tweet you when I get the chance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, same! Instant gratification is great, haha. I can't wait to see your #BloggersBTS post as well! Thanks for stopping by, Jamie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I decided to revamp my wardrobe, Audrey at puttingmetogether.com helped a TON. She has a lot of great posts on how to build a practical wardrobe from scratch!


    I've sold two things so far, haha. It's definitely slow, but I think it's a learning curve. I sold a dress that was new w/ its tag and a shirt, both from The Limited. Brand names tend to sell better, but I don't have any so I think that's why sales are slow. It's free to list though, so you don't have to pay any fees until an item sells!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love minimalism and keeping my life free from clutter!

    fourcatsplusus.co.uk - Amy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me too! I've only been focusing on minimalism for a short time, and I can already see a difference.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love reading each and every one of them.