Tuesday, August 4, 2015

How to College: Comfortable Outfit Basics for Class

This post marks my first addition to the Bloggers Go Back to School linkup, hosted by Cathleen and Nicole! The theme for this week is fashion, and today, I'm going to give you ideas for cute and comfortable outfits! Nikes and oversized t-shirts, begone! (Unless you want to wear it. I'm just saying, wear what you want, not what you need to wear to fit in!)

Let me preface this by saying that the normal attire on my college campus consists of oversized t-shirts, Nike shorts, and Chacos. Everyone wears this, and I'm often asked why I'm so "dressed up" for class.

I'm not dressed up. I literally dress like this every day.

Now, I'm all for wearing what you want, but don't hate just because I'm not dressed like you! Can a girl wear a chevron necklace without getting stared at? Jeez. I mean, there are plenty of other people that don't sport the Nikes and Chacos on the daily, but not nearly enough people so that I don't stick out. I could go on about this forever, but that's a rant for another day.

My outfit formula for this school year is fairly simple since I'm making an effort towards a minimalistic wardrobe. This is how I typically go about creating an outfit for the day. Select one option from each category, and you can't go wrong!

TOP: Sleeveless Shirt + Graphic Tee

Sleeveless shirts are my go-to for the summer. Button-ups are my favorite choice because of their versatility. You can tie it, tuck it in, or wear it as-is. Plus, comfy, and if you want to, you can wear a sports bra.

BOTTOM: Maxi Skirts + Soft Shorts

I'm a little late to the soft/linen shorts party. I bought my first pair this year, and I don't know how I survived before. They're definitely going to be a staple for this fall. They're hella more comfortable than my normal denim shorts.


If you have to wear pants, you could easily opt for wide legged pants, jersey pants, or jeggings. I've also found that the Columnist crop pants from Express are incredibly comfortable.

Rompers + Jumpsuits + Dresses

If you're not feeling the top + bottom combo, go for a one piece. Rompers and jumpsuits are not given enough credit! You put one on, and your outfit is basically done. Same goes for a dress. If you want to go out after class, all you have to do is throw on a pair of heels.

SHOES: Converse + Sandals

I have a confession. I'm a poser. I claim to be a style blogger, but I wear the same shoes almost every day - but I'm glad I do, because it makes my minimalist effort a lot easier. My white Converse are my go-to's! Also, don't laugh about what I'm about to tell you. Get shoe insoles. Converse shoes have NO arch support whatsoever, and it's super bad to walk around like that all day. Just get the insoles. No one has to know, and your feet will thank you later!

If I'm not in the mood for sneakers, I opt for these sandals from Target. I've had them for over a year and they're still in good shape! I would wear flats, but I've yet to find a pair that don't make me want to chop my ankles off. Have any suggestions?

OUTERWEAR: Cardigan + Plaid

I go to school in the south. It's hot. The only reason I suggest wearing cardigans and jackets is because generally, classroom temperatures are near sub-zero. I normally throw a cardigan in my backpack, but you could also tie a plaid shirt around your waist.

ACCESSORIES: Long Necklace + Studs



Not gonna lie, I wear this chevron necklace from Forever 21 almost every day. It matches almost everything in my closet, and I can dress it up or down. If you're looking for one, you can find unique ones on Etsy!

Stud earrings are also a staple. I don't wear dangles anymore unless I'm really trying. I just purchased the Itty Icons Stud Set from BaubleBar while they were on sale to replace my low quality F21 earrings.

And that's a wrap! Want to see more posts on back to school fashion? Check out other bloggers participating in the linkup by searching social media with the hashtag #BloggersBTS. I look forward to reading more posts!

If you've made it this far...

...thank you so much! I've got a quick question for you - do you prefer Disqus (my current commenting system) or the native WordPress system? I'm making the switch in the next month or so and I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Also, I've finally decided on my social media accounts. Tweet me at @crazyscarfgirl, and follow me on Instagram at @thecrazyscarfgirl. Have a great day!

25 comments:

  1. Everygoodthingblog by MelissaAugust 4, 2015 at 6:03 PM

    Love this look, especially because of how comfortable it looks! And I can definitely see how that Forever necklace is your staple. It's such a great piece to throw on with anything! Anndd honestly I don't mind Disqus over Wordpress. I'm not that tech advanced though so I might not be the best person to ask. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Emily for linking up with us this week! I hope you'll be participating in other weeks too! Loved this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love literally everything you posted, these would be ideal for me at work! Contemplating shipping to the UK haha. Really love your style. I'm a big fan of shirts and denim at the moment.

    I personally prefer Disqus :)

    fourcatsplusus.co.uk - Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Melissa! It is SO comfy, haha. The necklace matches almost everything I have in my closet, it's awesome!


    Thanks for your input! I personally don't mind using either. I thought I'd ask my readers to see what they prefer, because that's what really matters! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course, Cathleen! Thank you so much for hosting #bloggersBTS - it's a HUGE success! I'm so excited for desk week, haha. I'm moving to a new house and got a brand new desk from IKEA!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous outfit ideas, thanks for sharing!! :)

    I have a new post up on the blog, would love to know your thoughts:

    * Electric Sunrise - Fashion and Lifestyle Blog *

    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am loving all of your picks here! It happened more so in high school for me, but when people ask why you're dressed up it's like....this is my casual look! And personally I like Disqus! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Amy! I tried to find affordable yet high quality pieces to share. Denim shirts are the best - I love how versatile they are!


    Thanks for sharing your thoughts! It's interesting to see who prefers Disqus over WordPress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Helen! I'll be sure to check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely blog!
    I love that necklace, so so pretty.
    And I prefer disqus!

    xx,

    Maria

    PS. I have a Lomography giveaway on my blog!

    City Laundry

    Twitter | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Kathryn! I'm the opposite - I never dressed up in high school, haha.


    Thanks for your input! Most people have told me Disqus as well, so I think I'll be sticking with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Maria! I really appreciate your input. Lomos are so cool - I'll check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post! I used to live the same experiences in college, I had a very preppy style and everyone wanted to be able to wear their pjs to class. Anyway, I do preffer Wordpress over Disqus.


    Natalia
    www.lindifique.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ugh, where were you when I was a confused kid wearing sweatpants in college? Seriously, I could not figure out a style back then. I either dressed too fancy to class, or gave up on life and came in leggings. All of these tips are perfect, and I'd actually wear these looks on off-duty days during the week too, now that I'm no longer in school!

    xo marlen
    Messages on a Napkin

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your outfit, and hey, staple jewelry is where it's at!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really love the style and pieces that you picked out! :D


    As for comments, I prefer using WordPress commenting system on my blog, but it is completely up to you on what you like best and if the visitors are happy with Disqus, don't worry. :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. AHHH! Can't wait to see in the post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you, Natalia! I mean I have no problem with people wearing PJ's to class, just when people judge me for *not* wearing my PJ's to class, haha.


    Thanks for your input! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haha, I'm still trying to find mine! One day I'll dress incredibly preppy, and the next day I'll wear an entire outfit from Urban Outfitters. Thanks, Marlen!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you, Daisy! And you are so right - staples are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks, Kya!


    That's good to hear! The majority of my readers prefer Disqus, so I think I'll stick with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love love the comfort of that outfit and of that style :D


    I like Disqus myself, but I don't like using it, but it works for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  23. WordPress for commenting! I really don't get Disqus LOL.


    But anyway, that outfit looks comfortable! But I'll take jeans, t-shirts, long-sleeve plaid shirt, and hoodie :D That's my comfortable outfit XD

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you! It is super comfy :) Thanks for your input about commenting systems as well! I've really appreciated all of the input from everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Haha, that's fair! Thanks for your input!


    Ohh, I love plaid shirts! That's a fall go-to for me. Jeans are the best!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love reading each and every one of them.