Saturday, August 8, 2015

4 Reasons Why You Should Intern in College (Not Just for Your Resume)

Pre-internship: I've never lived 675 miles from home. I've never driven for 12 hours straight by myself. I've never paid my own bills, and I've never worked 8 to 5... I've never been swing dancing, either.

Post-internship: I've done all of the above - swing dancing included!

Interning this summer was so much more than just a job, and today I'd like to share why I think you should do intern, too!


1) You'll be on your own


My first question is WHY ON EARTH do we not learn how to pay bills in high school? What do you mean I have to go through separate companies for gas, electricity, and water? What is renter's insurance?!?

Because I chose an internship so far away from home, I've been able to experience what it's like to be completely on my own. I covered all of my expenses while living alone in my little 343 square foot studio apartment. I paid my own bills and bought my own groceries. (It was a paid internship.) It was really exciting the first week - Oreos? Ice cream? Cake mix? You bet. I'm getting all of the things, and I don't even have to ask my mom *insert suggestive side-eye emoji here*.

Sure, I had a couple of friends here, and I got to know the interns. But I lived alone for the first time. This may not be a lot for some people, but it was a huge step for me. After interning, I know that I am capable of supporting myself.

2) You'll try new things


...like swing dancing! Living in a brand new city gave me the chance to do a lot of exploring and adventuring.

Swing dancing at Sons of Hermann Hall
I went to a concert alone for the first time (huge shoutout to Jukebox the Ghost, Oh Honey, and Ingrid Michaelson), I went to an Instagram meetup alone, and I went to a museum alone. All were incredible experiences, and I wouldn't have done them if I wasn't interning here in Dallas.

I'm not saying you have to do everything alone, but going to things by myself used to be really out of my comfort zone. In essence, the "new thing" I did this summer was adventuring on my own, which I never would have done at home or at school.

I pushed myself out of my comfort zone, and I encourage you to do the same!

3) You'll meet people

I met Courtney of Champagne and City Lights!

I connected with so many people at my internship. Early relationships with coworkers at your company will always help you down the road. Even if you don't want to return to the same company as full-time employee, many of them are willing to help if you ever need anything. Plus, you never know what's going to happen in the future, and you might need that job offer. It's just like blogging - networking is key!

me casually meeting my favorite band EVER, Jukebox the Ghost!

I didn't just meet people at work - I also met Claire the biology major at the Ingrid Michaelson concert, Tran the swimsuit designer at the Instagram meetup, and Nate the physical trainer-turned-entrepreneur at the farmer's market. It's these little moments that count - you will always learn something when crossing paths with a stranger.

4) You'll learn about the field


I guess I should talk about working, right? I didn't spend all my time exploring - I actually did do my job!

While getting an education is important, you really don't learn everything you need to know to work in the field. You won't know how to do your job until you're actually on the job, and interning prepares you for that.

Even if you don't end up enjoying your work as an intern, you've learned something you don't like to do, and that's just as important. I learned how to analyze big data, but I also learned that I don't like analyzing big data. You can safely say that I've crossed that off of my list of potential careers!


Overall, I am so glad that I had the opportunity to intern in Dallas. If anything, interning is an incredible learning experience. College teaches you a lot, but it doesn't teach you how to work full-time.

If you're looking for an internship or have any questions about professionalism, don't hesitate to tweet me or email me! I am always happy to help, and I'd love to share my experiences with you.

Have you ever interned? Did you enjoy it? I want to hear all about it in the comments!

6 comments:

  1. Internships seem so much fun. Mine will be in my island, but I spent a semester abroad and it was amazing both for my resumé and my personal life!! PS. So cool that you met casually your favourite band!! xx


    Cristina, xo // My Cup of Tea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had an amazing internship!! I interned for a semester, but it was nearby because I had classes too. How fun to do one far away, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everygoodthingblog by MelissaAugust 11, 2015 at 7:13 PM

    These are such great points Emily and they are really true too! I agree with all of the above. And very impressive you learned swing dancing, I've always wanted to learn!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so awesome, Cristina! I would love to study abroad next summer. And meeting my favorite band was AWESOME. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was amazing! That's great that you got to intern for a whole semester though, I wish mine was longer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Melissa! Haha I'm no good at swing dancing, but I've got the basics!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love reading each and every one of them.