Friday, July 17, 2015

Do Dallas: McKinney Farmer's Market

If there's anything I've learned at all this summer, it's that I learned that I'm in love with Dallas. Prior to moving in before the summer, I compiled a list of places I wanted to go to & things I wanted to do. I love reading blog posts about others' adventures, so I thought I'd start my own travel guide/to-do list for Dallas. Without further ado, I present to you the first post in my Do Dallas series!

Chestnut Square Historic Village
315 S. Chestnut Street
McKinney, TX 75069

(Also, as you can see in the shamelessly pinnable image above, I've purchased my domain! I'll be making the transition mid-August.)

A couple of the interns and I headed to McKinney on Saturday morning to go to the farmer's market, which was previously ranked #1 in Texas.

The market is open every Saturday from 8AM-12PM and is located in Chestnut Square. Parking is free, but I recommend getting there right when they open to get a spot in the closest lot.


Everyone was so friendly! Nearly every vendor was giving out free samples. I got to try fudge, fancy lemon bread, sprouted nuts, homemade juices, and some kind of weird breakfast chicken tortilla.


There was a produce, pastries, and an artisan section. I got a cup of coffee to drink while we strolled, a few peaches, and a peppermint leg bar to be used for shaving. It's the circle bar pictured below. Let me tell you, it makes shaving great.

What I really like about this market is that I didn't have to fight my way to walk through it, unlike what I've heard about the Dallas Farmer's Market. McKinney is small and homey, but the selection is still excellent. Plus, when you're done at the market, you can just walk to downtown and grab lunch.


We also explored downtown McKinney, which I'll share later along with what I wore on our little adventure. If you know of cool places in the DFW area, let me know! I love exploring. After visiting this market, I've decided to make it a point to shop local. I'm a lot more conscious of it now than I was at the beginning of the summer.

Where are your favorite local markets? I would love to hear about them!

6 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it - looks like fun!


    http://skylish.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Catherine, it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in Dallas and didn't make it to McKinney often at all... you're making me wish that wasn't the case! This looks amazing, especially the farmers market :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm the same way about my hometown! I grew up just outside of Nashville, and I never did anything downtown until after I left for college. Thanks, Monica! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Farmer's Markets are probably Sarah and I's favorite thing! We LOVE looking at the local products that people are making. The best part is talking to small business owners. LOVE hearing their stories. There's an art fair in Milwaukee every month called the Maker's Market. It's great.
    -Kaitlyn :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES. There's a nice farmer's market back home in Nashville, & my parents used to take me all the time. I hated it when I was younger, but I love them so much now!


    I didn't get a picture, but we got to talk to someone who makes his own health snacks with sprouted nuts. He was a personal trainer, and just quit to pursue his business! A few Whole Foods in the area carry his product. He's seriously so cool.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love reading each and every one of them.