Friday, June 27, 2014

DIY Polka Dot Shorts

Remember that time way back when I posted an outfit with my DIY tribal shorts, and I mentioned maybe posting how to's in the future? Well, here it is! A couple of weeks ago, I got together with one of my friends and we had a craft date. She made a ton of dorm decor, and I found a pair of old jeans and turned them into shorts. It's a very simple DIY - read on to see how I made them!

Supplies
Old jeans / shorts
Scissors
Marker
Optional: needle and thread, iron / hair straightener, ruler, box cutter / razor blade
The first thing I did was put on my pair of old jeans, and roughly marked how long I wanted my shorts to be. Remember not to cut it too short - you can always cut more, but you can't go back once you've cut too much!
Make sure both pant legs are even, and just snip off the legs with your scissors. I left enough length so that I would be able to roll the ends.
Next, I made my stencil. I had some cardstock from an old project that I recycled. I punched out a circle, and voila - you have your stencil!

Brush wise, you should probably use an actual stencil brush, but I found that the flat end of a cheap foam brush works just as well. I made a couple of mistakes, but you can always go back over it with a smaller brush. I squeezed some paint onto a plate, loaded the flat end of my brush, and dabbed it over my stencil.
Try not to paint it on, because that will cause paint to go under your stencil and ruin your pretty circles.
If you want to be precise, you could use a ruler to measure where your polka dots go, but I just eyed it, and it turned out fine!
About half way through, my stencil became soggy because of all the paint. Just punch another hole in your paper, and you've got a brand new, dry stencil!

After I got my first row of polka dots
You can always fix rough spots with a smaller brush.
And there you have it, your very own polka dot shorts! Depending on your style, you could fray the ends with a razor or box cutter, roll it and sew it, or leave it as it is. I ended up rolling mine and sewing the seams on the side so that it doesn't become unrolled. I'm way too lazy to actually use an iron, so I used my hair straightener to crease the ends. Practical, yes?

Do you ever make your own shorts? Stay tuned to see how I style mine!

4 comments:

  1. These are so cute! Thanks for sharing how to make them :) I can't wait until I see how you style yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really cute! I'm going to have to go to the thrift store to find some jeans to make these with! I have also nominated you for the Liebster Award, check out my post for information! http://awhimsicaldreamer.blogspot.com/2014/08/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow these are so easy to make! I really want to try making some of my own shorts.
    P.S. I nominated you for the Liebster award! Here's the post :)
    http://opaquemoonlight.blogspot.com/2014/08/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have never thought of doing something like this but it looks really cool! Nice post :)

    http://novellette.com
    https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/12522799

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love reading each and every one of them.