Monday, February 10, 2014

How to College: Planning

Before I came to college, I would always read blog posts and watch YouTube videos about preparing for college. I love seeing how other people organize things, decorate dorms, all of that kind of stuff, so I figured I'd start my own series! I plan on writing about dorm decor, academic/study tips, and other college related things. If there's anything specific you'd like to see, let me know!

So without further ado, here's the first post in my How to College series (because "college" is definitely a verb). Stay tuned for my next post about my studying tips!


I don't know about you, but I am infinitely more busy in college than I was in high school. Routines are different than they were in high school since class schedules are different every day. Staying organized and planning ahead is really important if you don't want to get behind. That, and I am a lot more relaxed if I have a set game plan for the week.


The Planner/Agenda
I've been using a daily planner since the 6th grade. I literally have no idea how I'd survive school without it! I use it mainly for academic tasks, like homework and studying for tests. (I also color code it, because who doesn't like colors?)

Michael's has cheap sticky notes in the dollar bins!
Sticky Notes
Okay, these aren't really a necessity, but I have a weird obsession with sticky notes. If I have other things to remember that aren't academic, I jot it on a sticky note and put it in my planner for the week. It's nice for me to keep academics and everything else separated. I like to purchase mine at Michael's or the dollar store, but sometimes it's fun to splurge!

because I definitely didn't have enough sticky notes to begin with?
Virtual Sticky Notes - Evernote
Evernote is a cool app that lets you sync notes to a cloud, so you can access them anywhere. If I don't have a pad of actual sticky notes, I use Evernote on my phone! You can make checklists, bullet lists, and other random list-y things. In my app, I have separate notebooks for my blog, organizations, and groceries.


I didn't start using Google Calendar until my senior year of high school, but let me tell you, it is amazing, and definitely a must have for college! I separate events into different calendars - one for classes, tests, projects, meetings, and social things. The best part is that you can sync it to your phone and make reminders!

Sometimes if I'm on a really tight schedule, I plan out my day hour by hour - I might be a little over the top, but if I have a 8am - 9pm day, I don't like to waste time!


How do you plan your week? 

8 comments:

  1. I used a planner back in college as well - there's something really satisfying about actually checking off the items you complete :) Now I just use Sunrise (a google calendar app) to keep track of all my events. Yay for smartphones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, definitely! I tried to consolidate to just electronic planning, but it's just not the same, haha. This is the first time I've heard of Sunrise - I like it a lot! It has a lot more features than what comes with the iPhone, I'll have to look into it!

      Delete
  2. You're so organized!! I didn't get this way until it was too late in college & I'm glad to see you're not going to make my mistake. My thoughts constantly swirl around in my head & I make mental notes....which aren't helpful when you forget that mental note. I'm going to take a step in the right direction (yours) & start up a huge way to organize myself.

    I have a daily planner so that's one down, like 10 other reminders to go haha.

    Wait, I also have a Hello Kitty notepad so we're almost there, right? haha & I have tabs so that works too....hmmm let's see let's see, STICKY NOTES. See, I need those I think. No wait, I have those. But, I don't have Evernote. I guess I don't need it just yet. Maybe you can teach me your pro OCD ways!! hahaha.

    I've also foregone google calendars because I just use iCal, but the problem is that I haven't been able to use it since the new OS X update. Wait, just fixed it hahaha. Damn, now all my calendars are lost fml -_-

    I do try to plan my day hour by hour, but things happen & then that schedule goes out the window. It makes me sad that I procrastinate like crazy, but man, you've definitely inspired me to get it together!! Your level of organization is inspirational, seriouslyyyy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks, being organized is a new thing I've been trying :P It definitely pays off! I always forget to write things down and don't remember them until the last minute, and I regret it every single time. The only reason I keep like 832743 reminders is because I will STILL forget something. It's nice to have a billion backups!

      Sticky notes are my life, actually. I hoard them. They're literally everywhere in my room, it's kind of embarrassing.

      I didn't get an iPhone until last month, so I still don't really know the joys of iCloud and i-everything else haha. And I can never figure out how to sync Apple stuff, so I stick to Google because I know it's not going anywhere!

      Haha yeah my hour by hour schedules only work out every once in a while, but I feel so accomplished if it actually happens. And thanks again, I try to inspire haha.

      Delete
  3. I love this post! I am trying to become more organized and not procrastinate as much so I definitely need to use some of these tips! I love picking up sticky notes too, they're just so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ashley! Sticky notes are my favorite, haha.

      Delete
  4. Your organisation skills are amazing! And those Hello Kitty sticky notes are so adorable, I think I need to get myself a pack!

    I definitely wish I could stick to using my diary/planner everyday, but truthfully, I'm just too lazy to get it out of my bag (wow, this is sounding a lot worse than it is). I definitely rely on apps and iCal too much, but its just so easy to use especially since I'm on my phone and laptop all the time. Evernote is definitely my cover for using my phone in class, because I tell my teachers I'm 'taking notes' *wink wink*, but I love it, it's great.

    But I think reading this has definitely motivated me to get a bit more organised, beyond the point of my obsessive colour coordination :)

    Mel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! I try a lot harder than I used to. :p

      I've always used a planner, so I'm just used to pulling out it out whenever. I'm really lazy when it comes to putting things in my phone because I always forget to set the alert/reminder! And I loveee Evernote, especially the checklists! It's such a nifty app.

      Glad I could help, haha :)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I love reading each and every one of them.