Saturday, February 1, 2014

Crafts: Arm Knitting

It's no secret that I really love to craft. The problem is, I'm also really impatient. Luckily, I've found the perfect solution to my addiction and impatient ways - arm knitting!

When I first try to explain it to people, the typical response is, "What?" with a really confused expression. And they look at me like I'm crazy. It's literally what it sounds like - knitting with your arms, and your arms act as the needles. This way, the stitches are a lot bigger, and you get results fast.


This is a scarf that I made as a Christmas present! It took me probably an hour and a half, only because I had to figure out the technique first. After making the first one, I can finish a scarf in about 30-45 minutes. It got a lot of compliments, and she loved it (unless everyone was lying just to make me happy). 

Here are some tutorials that I used.

These tutorials recommend that you use 2 skeins of yarn at once. You don't have to, but if you want a fuller looking scarf, I would suggest it. I also recommend using different colors! I used Loops & Threads Country Loom from Michael's (don't forget your coupon!), but Homespun and other thicker yarns would work great, too. With two skeins of Country Loom, I made two complete scarves that loop twice.



Happy crafting!

14 comments:

  1. The concept of arm knitting sounds so strange but interesting at the same time - the scarf you made looks so nice and comfortable! I really wish I knew how to knit, it's on my to-do list for 2014. x

    Kathryn | effievanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, I thought it was really weird at first. It's really easy though!

      Delete
  2. Wow, I never heard of that before! I shared it with my sister right away since she loves knitting now and then. :) I really love the scarf you made! It looks beautiful! :)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It's so easy to learn, too.

      Delete
  3. lovely :)

    http://sbr-fashion-fashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I shared this post as well to my mother because she's a big fan of knitting! That scarf looks lovely!! :) xxx

    http://definitelymycupoftea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this new template you chose for your blog! :)

    Whoaaaaa I need to get into this because that looks really nice! No lie!! I've been trying to knit a scarf for... ummm...3 years ahahaha & it's just a lot of work, so I think I'll try out the tutorials you posted. Really neat. Didn't know you could knit it without ... well just with your arms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've been messing around with it until I can find the time to design my own, which will take a while, haha.

      And thanks about the scarf! I learned how to knit the normal way with needles after I learned how to arm knit, and it's taking soo much longer than I thought. I'll probably be done in about 3 years too, haha. And you definitely should, it's so easy and fast!

      Delete
  6. When my sister was little, my mum use to knit scarves all the time. I got into it back then and got really good at knitting basic patterns. Haven't done it in year though.

    Your scarf looks great! Love the colour combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I haven't gotten into patterns or anything yet, just the basic knit stitch. If I ever finish this one, I definitely want to get into more intricate things!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I love reading each and every one of them.